background

Friday, January 22, 2010

Knitting Again

So excited to be knitting again after a long bout with pregnancy induced carpal tunnel. I am back to knitting socks, which are my fave to work on. I don't know why I love knitting socks so much. Maybe its because it's the portability, or the yarn, or the coziness of it. Or, maybe its because even when it's 100 degrees in the Memphis summer time, I can still knit socks and not be covered up and sweating under a heavy project. In any sense, sock knitting makes me feel relaxed by giving me something to do while sitting still, which is a difficult thing for me.
Being the thrifty wife and mother I am, and due to our current recession, I went in search of places to find free patterns and great deals on yarn. I consulted one of my dear knitting friends and she suggested Knitting Pattern Central. If you are a knitter and you've never visited that site, go now. I found an amazing selection of wonderful sock knitting patterns for free! I spent about an hour downloading and saving all of the PDF patterns. I plan on working these 2 in the near future:
I was also suggested a great site KnitPicks where I found sock yarn for as little as 4.00 a ball. And, I snagged this listing of Brown Sheep Sock yarn for super cheap on Etsy.
Two of my favorite sock books that I own are Sensational Knitted Socks by Charlene Schurch and Knitting Vintage Socks by Nancy Bush. The first one is a must for every sock knitter because it basicly teaches you how to design your own socks to fit your foot and your style. I have used it for many of my projects. The second one beautifully reproduces patterns from the 1800's to fit today's yarns and styles. When I knit from this book, I feel a strong connection to my grandmother knitters.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you! This blog post will be advertised on CraftCrave in the Handcraft category today (look for timestamp: [10 Feb 01:00pm GMT]).

    ReplyDelete