background

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

A Fall Dress Take Two, The Mini Version

A couple of months ago I scored a used American Girl Bitty Baby doll on Ebay for 11.59. Imagine my excitement! I had one of the original American Girl dolls when I was a little girl, and I have been happily anticipating the day when I could get one for my own daughter. We have been getting the catalogue in the mail for a while now, and for the past few months Katie has been turning to the page with Bitty Baby and staring. She says, "Oooooooh, Bibby Baby!" So, because of this, I figured it was time to get one. However, seeing the price of a brand new one made me wonder if Katie was ready to take care of something I spent that much money on. This sent me searching on Ebay for a used Bitty doll. After a couple of days, I found one with brown eyes and brown hair. Perfect for Katie! So, for the last few weeks, I have had this poor little naked baby doll sitting and staring at me in my sewing room. And, since I have never known Santa to bring naked dolls, I figured it was time for me to start working on a little wardrobe for her.

Do y'all remember this dress from a few weeks ago?
 Well, today I came up with this little number to match it:
I used the small sized pattern for the Itty Bitty Baby Dress from Made By Rae and scraps from Katie's dress. Rae designed this pattern to fit a preemie or small newborn and it includes a little bit bigger size for a larger newborn. I had to shorten the skirt a little to fit Bitty, and since it is a dolly dress, I didn't go through the trouble of doing the piping and the bias tape. Instead, I just added a border to the bottom of the skirt. The link to the toddler size can be found here or in my Little Turkey Dress post.
I also whipped up a couple of diapers using felt and velcro. I'm hoping this will deter princess Katie from trying to use her brother's diapers on her baby.

5 comments:

  1. SO cute! I love the fabrics! Excellent job!
    Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this fabric - what a cute dress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. adorable,would love to see the 'two of them" together! thanks so much for sharing on Craft schooling Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so sweet, I love the original too, the fabric is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete