background

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Fabric Headband Tutorial

I have been absent from blogland for the last, oh, eight months. I went back to work at the hospital (part-time) last September, so my little family and I have been adjusting to life with both parents working. Finally, after several months and the addition of an incredible babysitter (hey Shelby), we are FINALLY adjusted. I can't tell you how happy I am to be back at work, doing my nurse thing for a few hours a week. My brain no longer feels like jello, and I had no idea how much I missed it until I stepped back onto my old unit. The welcome back hugs from long-time coworkers made me feel like I had returned home. And, the things I have learned from being a mommy of little people, have greatly affected how I do my job as a nurse. I feel way more competent and outspoken, and just more like a grown-up... Not that turning thirty a couple of months ago didn't have a little bit to do with that.
This afternoon, I put my somewhat short hair up with some random bobby pins. As cute as it turned out, it wanted a little something to add an element of fun. Here's the tutorial:

1. Cut a 7 inch piece of 1/4 inch elastic
2. Take a strip of cute scrap fabric and cut it about 2 1/2 inches x the width from one ear to the other. You can cut it larger than 2 1/2 inches to make a thicker headband.
3. Fold your strip of fabric in half longways and press (please excuse my poor, stained ironing board. It's been through a lot...)


4. Open up your strip. Fold down about a half inch hem longways on both edges and press


5. Now, fold the strip in half back down the first fold and press (I pinned it to keep it together)