background

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Fabric Headband Tutorial

I have been absent from blogland for the last, oh, eight months. I went back to work at the hospital (part-time) last September, so my little family and I have been adjusting to life with both parents working. Finally, after several months and the addition of an incredible babysitter (hey Shelby), we are FINALLY adjusted. I can't tell you how happy I am to be back at work, doing my nurse thing for a few hours a week. My brain no longer feels like jello, and I had no idea how much I missed it until I stepped back onto my old unit. The welcome back hugs from long-time coworkers made me feel like I had returned home. And, the things I have learned from being a mommy of little people, have greatly affected how I do my job as a nurse. I feel way more competent and outspoken, and just more like a grown-up... Not that turning thirty a couple of months ago didn't have a little bit to do with that.
This afternoon, I put my somewhat short hair up with some random bobby pins. As cute as it turned out, it wanted a little something to add an element of fun. Here's the tutorial:

1. Cut a 7 inch piece of 1/4 inch elastic
2. Take a strip of cute scrap fabric and cut it about 2 1/2 inches x the width from one ear to the other. You can cut it larger than 2 1/2 inches to make a thicker headband.
3. Fold your strip of fabric in half longways and press (please excuse my poor, stained ironing board. It's been through a lot...)


4. Open up your strip. Fold down about a half inch hem longways on both edges and press


5. Now, fold the strip in half back down the first fold and press (I pinned it to keep it together)


6. Using your zig-zag stitch or any other preferred method, overcast the short edges by opening them up and running them through your machine


7. Fold back in half and sew a straight stitch up the side to hold together

8. After you have sewn the strip longways, insert 1/4 inch elastic about 1/2 inch into one end


















9. Fold edge in thirds to make pleats. Make sure elastic is in the center. Sew a straight stitch along the short edge to secure the elastic. I like to go back and fourth over it a couple of times to make sure the elastic is not going anywhere. Repeat on the other end
 

10. Snip off  little threads and you're done! Wear and smile because you have a new headband that perfectly matches your style :


No comments:

Post a Comment